It is common not to think about air conditioners until they stop working, but it isn’t a bad idea to think about it a bit more often than that, particularly about how efficiently it is running. If there are issues causing it to work harder, you are going to have higher cooling costs, and you’ll need to invest in a new one sooner than you would have otherwise. You could also face more repair costs. Here are a few ways to keep air conditioners working efficiently that can save you money each month and down the road.
- Change the filter regularly. The rule of thumb is to change the filter every month, but if you live on a dirt road or have pets, you may want to do it more often.
- Check for insulation issues. Make sure you don’t have any drafts and that your insulation R-value is the recommended amount for your climate.
- Avoid heat sources inside your home. Air conditioners work harder when you have things in your home putting off heat, such as old-style lightbulbs and doing a lot of baking and cooking. Consider energy-efficient lighting and taking some of your meals out to the grill or smoker.
- Consider shady landscaping. The less sun that falls directly on your home, the less work involved for your air conditioner.
- Use ceiling fans. If using a fan makes you feel cool enough to set the thermostat a degree or two higher, it will give your air conditioner some relief.
- Keep air conditioners properly maintained. Regular service is the single most important defense you have to preserve your air conditioner and keep it performing efficiently. You can also gain efficiency using a programmable thermostat.
If you would like more advice about keeping air conditioners working efficiently, give us a call at JLK Mechanical Heating & Cooling. We have over 60 years of HVAC experience in the Concord, North Carolina area, and our maintenance plans are ideal for saving you money.