Are you looking for a way to lower your monthly expenses? Need a place in your budget that you can cut costs? We have seven great tips on how to save money by lowering your heating bill this winter:
1. Use the heat that you create from daily activities to help heat your house! When you shower, leave the door open. Keep the door to a warm oven open after you have finished baking. Try not to use your ventilation fans in the kitchen and bathroom to keep the warm air inside. Open your window coverings up on a sunny day to let the sun warm the room.
2. Lower your thermostat by a couple of degrees. Even a little change can make a difference in your heating bill! Invest in a programmable thermostat so you can take advantage of energy-efficient settings (such as lowering the temperature at night and when you’re not home).
3. Set your water heater on a slightly lower setting. You won’t feel the difference, but you will see the difference in your wallet!
4. Keep up with routine maintenance on your furnace and HVAC system. Change the air filter regularly to allow maximum efficiency.
5. Check your heating vents in your home to make sure they are uncovered and allowing air to flow through.
6. Make sure your house is sealed properly. Check for air leaks and fix them. Just caulking around windows and doors can help save on energy costs!
7. For an added level of comfort, make a habit of wearing warmer clothes inside your house. Wear socks, sweatshirts, use a blanket, etc. to keep your body temperature higher while you turn the thermostat lower.